Alzheimer's Organization: Genetic Testing
The ApoE Genetic Test For Alzheimer's Risk
The ApoE genetic test for Alzheimer’s will tell you which version of the ApoE gene you have.
The test is mailed to you, performed by yourself at home, and then mailed in pre-paid packaging to a laboratory. Results are returned to you in two weeks by electronic mail. Alzheimer’s Organization technicians will answer any questions you may have during the test or after, when you are reviewing your results.
ApoE is a gene which can dramatically increase your risk for Alzheimer’s. It is important that Individuals with the ApoE 4 gene take measures to reduce their risk of Alzheimer’s. For more information about the ApoE gene and how it affects you please see our full article here.
TEST KIT CONTENTS
1. Test Instructions
2. (3) Three cotton-tipped swabs (used for swabbing the inner cheek)
3. Educational Information
3a. How Genetic Testing Works
3b. Information about ApoE
4. Pre-Paid Fedex Return Envelope
AFTER TEST SERVICES
1. Approximately two weeks after the lab receives your test you will receive your ApoE status as well as what your status means for you.
2. When you order your test kit you will be contacted by one of our technicians who will answer any questions you may have along the way and any questions you may have about your results.
1. The Test Kit is mailed to your address.
2. You administer the test by rubbing three cotton-tipped cheek swabs on your inner cheek.
3. You replace the cotton swabs back in the test kit.You mail the test kit in a pre-paid, pre-addressed envelope to our laboratory.
4. After approximately two weeks you will receive your ApoE status and explanation via electronic mail.
5. Testing includes unlimited online consultations with our trained technicians whom can answer any questions you may have along the way and can explain your results and what they mean for you.
For questions about genetic testing please contact us at: